Thursday, April 22, 2010

Initial Introduction to Afghanistan

Lately, I did not get a chance to write on my blog. I was exhausted from the traveling. Even after I got enough sleep, it seemed like I was tired. Maybe the elevation in Afghanistan is contributing to my feeling very tired, or maybe jet leg is the cause of my sleepless nights, who knows? Anyways, I have started my first day to work on the 20th April 2010. I was given one day to rest which I also used for in-processing at Camp Phoenix. I found out that I had to convoy to and from work. I hoped never having to convoy in my career but now am faced with reality, I have to convoy everyday.
My first real convoy occurred when my team first picked me up at Kabul International Airport. Leaving the airport and seeing the road of Afghanistan for the very first time brought sadness to my heart, instead of fear. I have lived in a third world country for seventeen years of my life but yet never seen this type of living conditions. What I have seen gave me a heavy heart and I merely had a glimpse of Afghanistan through a window of a humvee.
Tuesday's convoy, this time I found myself terrified in going out the FOB but I had no choice but to just deal with the fear. We traveled almost the same route going to the airport. The road were not paved and it was a bumpy ride. It also rained that day so there were mud everywhere. We have arrived at the Log command, which is an Afghan Army Base. I met my Afghan counterparts and was oriented to my new job. I am a commodity item manager and mentor for the electronic/communication section. The day seemed short, I was enjoying the social interaction with the Afghan personnel, all seemed like wise men who look very old but wondered how old they were and dared not to ask. I had some bad vibes that some Afghans do not care about interacting with women but at the same time they had mentioned "respect" toward me. Some of the Afghans army personnel asked were I was from and the interpreters explained that I am an American soldier but the Afghans wanted to know my origin. I mentioned that I was born and raised in the Philippines then came to the US when I was 17 years old. We played a game called list all the countries that are near the Philippines. Many were confused but others were very good naming those countries, I had fun telling them if they had the right or wrong answer. I really hope I could build a good relationship with my counterparts.
The next day, some of my team went to Camp Eggers. This day I found my old team from combat skill training which we were separated in Kuwait, our stories revolved around how I was separated from the team and how worried they were when I was missing. They were supposed to fly out with me but because of room number mixed up, they missed the flight and instead had other flight arrangement. They told me that they flew on a russian helicopter from Bagram airbase to Kabul. I was so jealous. This day I also met some of the US military staff that I will be working with, in coordinating supplies and documentations requirement. The only thing stuck in my head is push letters. Hopefully I will learn all this new forms and processes really quickly or else I will left out in the conversation. Besides I would not want my counterparts feel that I know nothing even if it was the truth. The person I was replacing left already so if I wanted to ask question, I am on my on. My turnover was for one hour and thirty minutes tops. So here I am faced with a challenge in learning a new job for six months. Hopefully the Senior Master Sergeant in my team can help me with this different supply concept. It feels like everyone is speaking another dialect and I cannot understand a word being said and I am not talking about Dari or Pashtu language. Now I have to concentrate in this new job and I wonder if I will even get the time for my blog.
Camp Eggers is very busy compared to Camp Phoenix. What stand out the most, Camp Egggers have trees and grass while Camp Phoenix does not. One of my team called Camp Eggers as Disneyland and I have ask why. He answered, Camp Eggers have all the luxury a camp should not have especially being in the middle of a war. We stayed at Camp Eggers waiting for Major___ to finish his meeting. While we waited I had a spiced chai smoothie and it was very good. We even stayed in a pavilion in a middle of the rose garden. Yes, Camp Egger had roses in the garden. I have met so many people this day that I cannot remember the names. I met a Navy Captain (0-3), Captain Salire, who is Filipino except he could not speak the language and a Air Force Captain, Captain Seiling, from Langley Air Force Base Everything went well and I sure enjoy meeting new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment