Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fort Polk (Combat Skill Training)

I cannot believe it, my time at Fort Polk is almost complete. Two months in Loussiana on an Army post was scary thought, I imagined the worst living condition during the training duration, because my last Army accomodations was so horrible I have formed a discrimination against Army installation.  To my surprise Fort Polk was not too bad. I had a room to my self for almost two weeks and I love the fact I have the bottom bunk, heat and air condition in the room.  Even if Fort Polk is found in the middle of nowhere, my team/class found ways to keep us all occupied, from Walmart and PX shopping to hanging out the bowling alley (Where Fort Polk comes to relax).  I found myself content, just chilling at the bowling alley.  I also walked miles and miles because of boredom and later found new hobbies.  I have opened up a face book account and currently exploring the many capabilities of this program.  I have created a blog and loving the idea of being a mock writer.  About the training, I have some complaint but overall I am glad I received training before I head out to the unknown.


     The training schedule requires a lot of work, who ever has set up this program needs to tailor the schedule to the size of the classes because one size does not fit all.  If brilliant minds or involved echelons, just come together, discuss what a Combat Advisor will really need in theater, taylor it to the size of the classes and implement improvements, I have no doubt this training can become effective tool to prepare Combat Advisors for the mission and would eliminate a lot of the chaos.  Besides training  confusion,  there is one thing I am very thankful, I am very fortunate to have met a good team to spend my training here at Fort Polk.   I want to describe each everyone of them but I have promised not to mention their names.


    My "boyz" common referred to all the guys in my team,  took really good care of me.  I am proud to say they are my "Kuyas"-older brothers, who helped build my confidence during the training classes.  I can always remember being nervous around guns but now I can hold my weapons without shaking.  The first person I would like to mention is "Jagran" ____ ast,  the person who always made the team laugh.  If I was having a bad day, all it took to cheer me up is talk to him.  I can count on finding a bottle of mountain dew filled with rocks and water in my bag pack because he thought it will make me smile and that plan did work.  He was considered the village elder as we describe him, and his wisdom is very admirable. 

     Second person is "To run- to run" who looks so intimidating but his all fun, sometimes I think he is serious but then he is never serious, the big teddy bear of the group.  Then there is"Jagran" Apps who is the high-tech guru and music provider for the convoys.  I really like his people skills,  he cared about the well being of others and has a big heart. He always entertained my questions and never hesitated to help me.  I appreciate his efforts in teaching me about the computer.  Another person in my team is Senior, the historian, has a vast knowledge about history, who has learned to give hugs to another man. 

     Then my "SISTA" who hates that name but my day is never complete if I did not give him a difficult time.  He portrays himself as a tough guy who will not take "sh!t" from another woman but all of that is a mask.  There are days I over heard his conversations with his honey pooh and sometimes I want to puke, too sweet he is.   Another big brother of mine is my Pt "wing man", Lt Col, who will walk or run with me during Pt.  Of course I cannot forget to mention Col, who tried to engage the challenges our team is faced with.  Major laugh is another person in my team, if you heard a little kid laughing automatically it is him.  Then our lone soldier, the only Army person in our team.  I will never let him forget that an Army personnel shot me in the elbow.  These guys are awesome and I consider my self the luckiest woman in the class, oh I forgot am the only girl in the class. But kidding aside, I will never forget class 92, my family during this training. But every journey comes to an end, and its almost time to say good bye, a military way of life, so I bid farewell to all of you. I hope someday our paths will meet again and good luck to my new found friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment