Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Cap Stone Week

    The week started really slow. Monday is Team Leader Time, this day was set for table top practices and many what if scenario discussion.  On Tuesday, the Mounted Combat Patrol simulator training. The simulator made me dizzy and feeling sick. In the afternoon, I felt better and enjoyed the video game as I called the simulator.  I engaged on a building and no matter how much I shot at the target I could not kill the enemy.  At the end, we experienced our other team vehicle blow up, and all we could do is watch the flame engulf that vehicle because the vehicle I was in will not start. 

    Wednesday is a fun day, this day is the actual mounted  combat patrol with live fire for the M240 and M2 50 Caliber guns, very loud weapon system. During the engagement of the gunners, I was covering my face to prevent brass hitting my face. I tell you brass were everywhere.  I was able to put my training to use, as the dismount, I cleared a culvert.  Clearing culvert is no fun, I had to travel on grass and ditches. The whole time all I can think of were IEDs or explosives and accidentally stepping on one.  I even had to cross a stream and certain part of the ground were soft.  But needless to say, I did it, I saw the danger under the culvert and channeled the information. The guys gave me praiseworthy comments and boosted my confidence.  Another training put to use is driving a humvee,  I have never driven this type of vehicle until I came to Combat Skill Training.

     In the scenario, I had to drive the other vehicle because the driver and gunner were injured. While driving I was so scared that I did not realize I was speeding. When we arrived at the LZ ( Landing Zone for the helicopter) I had to carry the gunner and the driver to the static helicopters, and I tell you, even with two guys helping me, it took all my energy to get them from the humvee to the helicopter. I was telling both the driver and gunner that starting today they're both going on a diet because I cannot continue carrying them.  Every scenario that requires transporting an injured person, I had to execute it which provided ample hands on training for me.  At the end of this day I was so tired and hungry. 

    Thursday, is pre capstone, a day closer to the real test which is known as the Capstone.  Pre-capstone required a lot of preparation, hopefully my team and I are ready to show off our skills. This day we met with our afghan counter parts and talk about scenario such as 5-o-25s which is basically a means to check your parameters for danger. We also discuss the nine line medivac procedure  and other fundamental we have learned during the training. We tried to finish all the training with the counterpart as much as we can and at the same time prepare our vehicle  with the overlays and set up blue force tracker. I believe the time allotted for us was not enough but we had to make do what was given to us.

     The Capstone day  has arrived and we were schedule to visit three villages. I had to be a gunner this day because one of the member of the class had to go on an emergency leave. I had no clue how to even attach the harness and I even had to learn how to turn the hatch from strong right to left, what embarrassing experience. The first scenario was a total disaster, we did not help the injured afghan army for over 20 minutes. I had to dismount out of the vehicle from the gunner position to conduct a tourniquet on the injured person, which left the vehicle weapon unmanned but I was only following orders from the commander. I know it was not the right thing to do but I had to follow orders. After the injured was placed on the vehicle, I had to run across the field and help transport the injured to the helicopter.  Mesmerized by an actual/real helicopter landing, I almost forgot how to command the transport of the litter. We approached the helicopter and was given instruction to turn back with the injured person which ended that part of the scenario. Wished I was able to go in the helicopter but at the same time I am glad I did not because of the fear in flying. A million butterflies enters my stomach every time I know I was going on a plane and even after 17 years in United States Air Force and requiring to fly frequently, I have not overcome my fear of flying. Majority of the times I sleep on the plane to minimized the fear. At last, as we finished our mission we improved our tactics and the day came to an end. I was so hungry at the end of the day, had no breakfast, lunch and did not eat dinner until 1930 because we had to clean the vehicles. Hooray!!!! Capstone is over, by this  time I had two pieces of pizza and a cold beer and it felt like the best meal I ever had in my entire life. Now, I look forward going to Lake Charles and get away from Fort Polk even if it just over the weekend.

     


No comments:

Post a Comment