Friday, August 20, 2010

Traffic in Afghanistan


This week is a short but very interesting week. The first day of "Ramazan" which fell on a Wednesday, we stayed back at the Camp for a total of three days to include the Friday that we are normally off, and Saturday is when we had to convoy out again and mentor at the ANA compound. This week am assigned as the driver for one of the vehicles, and when I am driver, it never fails that we are confronted with scary situation. My team have only two main routes that we travel to and from work and one of this route is through Kabul International Airport, which we use often to eliminate the hassle in driving through traffic and bumpy roads. As we were going home, convoy commander decided not to take the airport way, found our convoy stuck in traffic for two hour.


A scary situation I may add, traffic is no fun in Afghanistan too many unknown situation that can arise. I really dislike not being able to maneuver the vehicle, especially if there is an emergency. It was horrible! We could not turnaround to take the alternate route. The situation got worst when a truck hit a car and the owner got out of the car and started yelling at the truck driver, then the ANP (Afghan National Police) was trying to break the fight and end up pushing the car owner back to his car and the fight escalated. As I watch through the window of the humvee and trying to make sure no other threat were outside, I was praying that we would find a way to get out of this mess and hoping no one has to dismount from the humvee or MATVs. Luckily the policeman was able to control the scene and a small gap or space opened and we were able to make a u-turn and back tracked to the airport. I was impress in my driving skill that day, even with the limited space, I was able to turn the humvee around without hitting a car. I was most impressed how my team, who were driving the MATV, steered those vehicles during this situation. Imagine if I was driving the MATV, there is no way I could have turn the MATV around.



We finally arrived safe and sound at the Camp. Shudder of the thought of a possible attack during the traffic scenario and not having a way out of that sticky situation, all I could do is put on a "tough face" and consider that day as part of our daily routine but deep inside I was really scared. The following day, I was in a bad mood and was not speaking to anyone which led to being called "Ms. Grumpy" that day, and so the following day I was left behind at the Camp, to enjoy a day off. The next day, another scary day, as we were driving home, the first vehicle stopped and reported an explosion. I have no clue why the first vehicle stopped, and all I could think of is that the vehicle was disabled, and my heart started to pound so hard. As the third vehicle driver, I looked ahead and I saw no smoke or anyone dismounting, and a sigh of relief as I heard the convoy commander explaining that a big jingle truck's tire exploded and there were no damage to our vehicles, and so we continued back to the Camp.

Not a fun week, but am just glad nothing horrible happened. This week was short but memorable because our team was confronted with scenarios that was scary. I do not know why I am paranoid with these minor situations, maybe because it is Ramadan or maybe because am in Afghanistan, whatever the reason may be, I just hope the next time I drive we do not have to experience potential hazards. The last time I drove, I had to tow the first vehicle because it will not start when we stopped at the Airport. Towing a vehicle all the way back to the Camp, that is not even 15 minute away, seemed like a lifetime of driving. If I documented all the times that I have driven a humvee and got into this type of scenarios, anyone would understand why I should be band from driving a humvee. No more driving for me, please?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on surviving a hard week. It doesn't matter how big or small the situation is, for where you are and what you are doing just making it through each day should be counted as an accomplishment. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my blog. I was never comfortable people reading any of my writings, but since my blog, I have learned to tell myself, "So what if my English is not so good." As long I can capture memories of my life. Thank you for the support and always being there for me and Annamaria.

    ReplyDelete