Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Particular to Kabul

Today is the first day of Ramadan and my team does not have to leave the FOB/Camp, which resulted to a day off. What an excellent opportunity to write about "something", as I scanned through all my pictures that I have taken during my deployment, and I asked my self, "What do I want to share to my family and friends today? Finally, I have found topics to write about: covered women, jingle trucks, trash goats, meat market and street gathering are five topics I wanted to share.

Many women in Afghanistan are covered, some of them use just the scarf to cover themselves, but many still wear the full cover. I find my self very appreciative that I do not have to wear such covering. I bet those outfit gets really hot, I could not imagine wearing it all day, especially during the summer times. I might just have to stay home if I lived in Afghanistan as a woman, forget about shopping or taking the kids to the doctor, its too hot to go out like this and the worst part some have to travel by foot. I like this picture because this woman is wearing a white covering unlike the majority whom wears blue burka.



Jingle trucks comes in small, medium and large trucks but what make these truck unique is the decoration on the trucks. From hanging trinkets, to color paint jobs, these particular trucks makes the street of Kabul very interesting. I like checking out the decorations on the trucks as we pass by it, during our convoys. I need a better picture of these jingle trucks, but unfortunately am either driving or the vehicle is going too fast or I have forgotten my camera. Whatever the case may be, when I see a really decorated truck come our way, all I can do is admire it from a distance. Oh well, I would have to just buy a replica of the jingle trucks and take it home for a souvenir.

When I am convoy commander I enjoy seeing a heard of goats on the street because I get to say, "Trash goat right" to inform the other convoy team that there are goats on the streets, so everyone can slow down, while we pass the goats. This picture only shows a few trash goat but they usually travel in large herds and instead of grassing on green pastures, these goats loves to eat trash. Henceforth, the name trash goats, as I call it out during the convoys.
Then the famous meat market store, everyday we passed several meat market place and all you see is just a bunch of meat hung up for the flies, dust and what other bacteria, infest on it. But we, "My Team" sure enjoy the kabobs that are given to us at the ANA base, I wonder which meat market did they get it from?




Lastly, the famous street gathering, everyday there is a meeting in the middle or side of the street. Afghans love parking on the side of the street and just sit anywhere, while they talk about everything and anything. I think it would be cool if I can join the street gathering but I bet they wont let me join in, because I am a girl. I have not seen any women gathering on the street, I wonder why? Oh! I know why, its to hot to be outside, Smart Afghan Women!!!!....Hope everyone enjoyed my story. Have to return to studying, and I wanted to let my family know that I am enjoying this deployment. I haven taken so many pictures and cannot wait to share/show to my family and friends.








No comments:

Post a Comment