Sunday, May 12, 2013

First Week In Kiuwait


The travel to Kuwait is a thing of the past.  Surviving the weeks in Kuwait is another story. I decided to break down my blog writing in one week increments. The first week is crucial to your weekly survival. In this week you have to in-processing the base, and its crucial because you will have to find a wingman.  The Air Force concept “Wing Man” refer to a person who has your back, and someone who will help you keep your mind off being home sick.  During this period you will also learn the layout of the base and work routines. 
     I found a “Wing Woman”, she and I decided to go walking at night because her goals lined up with mine.  She too would like to loose 25 pounds and finish her course fourteen (Military Course for Senior ranking). The only challenges we have is trying to get our schedule to match.  I have Sunday off and she has Saturday off but we will make do. Another challenges is we both work in different location. She works in Ali Al Salem and I work in Kuwait International Airport. Another problem is our work hours does not match either and I have to wait for her or vice versa.  Therefore we could only have dinner together.  Difficult situation but at least we can go walking/running at night.
    I hate it with a passion going to the dinning facility by myself.  I miss the days in Afghanistan, because I had two “Wing Man” and I always had someone to go with me at the dinning facility.  I guess it will be cereal for me during the days I have no lunch partner.  The easiest meal to have is cereal and that I can eat everyday.  I walk to the dinning facility, grab two to three cereal and milk, and I am good to go all day until dinner. Hopefully, I do find someone at work who will go and eat with me at the Kuwait International Airport dinning facility.  So far, am good with eating cereal.
   This week started good, on day one, my “Wing Woman” and I went to tour the base on foot.  Memorized some landmarks and by a couple of hours we knew the important building we may need to visit.  We found the theater, so we decided to utilized this facility on Friday, in which we will watch Iron Man for $3. On the second day, I was able to go off base and explore the mall.  I was not driving off base yet, I had my sponsor driving and we came across some camels.  She stopped to give me the opportunity to take pictures.  As we arrive to the mall, I was impressed on the size of the mall, layout, and designs.  One thing in common of all the mall in the world is the spending. People love to spend money whether shopping or eating at restaurants.  I realize or was told that the money conversion makes spending in Kuwait very expensive.  Just to show how expensive shopping is in Kuwait, here is an example: My sponsor purchased a cheese cake for 21 KD (do not know what the sign for Kuwaiti Dinar) which almost equivalent to $71. I bought 2 cup cakes at Sprinkles and paid 2.50 KD which is $8. Yes, the cupcake is expensive but it was beautiful. I wish I took a picture but maybe next time.  I came up with a conclusion, do not spend KD money.  I said, “I be broke before my Kuwait tour ended.” and I may need to save my money, if I plan to retire someday.   My “Wing Woman” and I enjoyed every bite of the cup cake while we were out for our daily walk.  We were laughing because we were exercising by walking, but on the other hand, we were stuffing our faces too.  I guess not a good start with our first goal but we swore not to make this into a habit.  I cannot wait until the third day.
     On the third day, it was time to go to Kuwait International Airport to work but the guard will not let me out because I did not have a card showing I work off base, so the guarded recommended to put me on a trip ticket but my replacement also know as my sponsor do not have template of the trip ticket.  Note to self have one handy dandy for the next rotation. Instead of working I end up staying at Ali Al Salem and run some errands (Get my eagle cash card, locate supply to get point of contacts for areas of supply and retrieve my M-9 at the armory to turn-in to ETDC for storage) and lastly go shopping at the concession stand on Ali Al Salem base.  I did very well, not a single item bought, except for coffee. Hopefully the fourth day will be better. 

    Fourth, fifth, sixth, and seven day devoted to observation period.  During this time, I had to familiarized myself in how my job is done in this particular area.  Basic knowledge of supply remains the same but there are specific information that one needs to learn for a particular location, mission, and leadership.  The transition phase of learning how it is done “Here”, the word referring to the location you are currently stationed wether deployed or transferred to another base, is what every military have to endure.  I have difficulties dealing with changes, even after 20 years in the military.  I dislike the fact that every move means re-accomplishing my system configuration.  one example is publishing the “GAL” in which is a process you have to do in order to send and received mail.  I have to locate the instruction and then load it, which it is not difficult, but this time I had some challenges because I could not locate the tool bar it is normally found.  Adapting to changes on programs is frustrating to me but the military has taught me to be flexible and overcome any challenges.  Yes, I do overcome those barriers and complete the tasks but my frustration have not lessen thru the years.  I go through a state of frustration and eventually it subsides.  I think the greatest challenge for me here in Kuwait is driving to and from work.  International driving is nerve wrecking until you are familiarized with the routes or the location.  Other countries have uniques signs and getting used to it, I must do.  In Kuwait, I have to look out for camels 


and crazy drivers.  Every where you go there are crazy drivers, those who change lanes without blinkers, people who will cut you off, and this place does not differ, name any traffic infraction and it is also found here.  Driving/traffic rules is not enforced here.   Therefore, I have to be extra vigilant when I am driving.  I just hope I remember where to turn, and not get lost.  At the moment, I still have someone coaching my turns but I hope I learn my routes quickly for the person I am replacing is soon going home and no more coach for me, I will be on my own.  In spite of all the challenges, I think overall I be okay.  Check out the camels we saw on the side of the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment