Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Packed for Kuwait?

    Off I go again. My last trip was Afghanistan, this time is Kuwait.  This is not my first time to Kuwait. The las time time I was in Kuwait was in 1999.  I can remember Kuwait, associating it with bagging sand bags and living in tents. The base was still considered as a "Bare" base then.  The last time I deployed, we had a layover in kuwait and I have seen big changes. The dinning facility is huge, an upgrade to its max capacity. Now with a fully equipped salad bar and I cannot wait to eat healthy again and of course to share my experiences in Kuwait.
    First, I have to make it to Kuwait and stuck in Virginia with nothing to do is what I am currently doing.  Yes nothing to do in Virginia, in which it is entirely my fault, I choose to linger in my room at the Norfolk Gateway Inn lodging rather than exploring Virginia beach.  My motivation to explore seemed diminished.  Am normally not like this, ask my sisters, I am the type of person who enjoys getting lost but not today.  However, I did ventured out to locate water, cereal and milk. Then on lunch time, I went to the NEX(Navy Exchange) the version of AAFES for the Air Force and Army terminology, all it is a store/mall.  I needed food and ate a steak omelet from IHOP.  Yes, NEX has an IHOP, and I thought the Air Force was spoiled.  Navy gets Mc Donalds and an IHOP in their facility. So jealous.
    After eating a good lunch, I went shopping and with this buying spree, I realized no matter how many days you spent packing your bags, you always manage to forget something you need.  Sometimes I just give up with my checklists and checking it twice.  The word flexibility is key to packing, if you did not bring it, just hope the facility at your deployed location has it, if not "Bahala na" a word that means "oh well" and life does go on.  Just learn to live without it.  Maybe one day I can publish a book or some sort of manuscript catered to packing for "Deployment" but I bet it has been done.  You think with all the travels I have done in my career, I will have a list suited for every deployment.  Again, no matter which branch of service you are, packing always has its challenges.

Another realization is the "Hurry, Hurry and Wait" concept.  I have difficulty adjusting to this concept. I left two am in the morning to wait here in Virginia for two nights, really frustrating! But what can you do.  So no worries, just enjoy every bit of waiting around.  If only I could convince myself. Until my next story and hope you enjoyed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment